Skip to main content

SICKLE CELL ANEMIA; YOU CAN DEAL WITH IT







Sickle cell anemia is not a death sentence! I repeat it is not a death sentence. If you live with sickle cell you are not a disaster waiting to happen..… You can live with it and you can deal with it.

For my B.sc degree program I took it upon myself to carry out intensive study on the repressive disease and yes its bad but can be managed and you can live a healthy, close to absolutely normal life  just like every other person…umm.. save for a few… okay a few major bumps… umm nope I retract. Save for some major bumps on the road which can make you feel half the human you are created to be. And that could be really ‘whack!’

Having sickle cell anemia is not your fault. It is negligence on the part of your parents and society. If they had played their role very well, then unlikely for you to have fallen victim… so don’t ever let anyone make you feel sorry for you.

You are still the same unique, awesome, terrific, amazing, special person with an extra spice that makes you stronger, resilient, tougher, persistent, and stubborn in a cute way. With the added bonus of making mum and dad do just what they ordinarily wouldn’t do for the others.

The downside is that you have crisis: bone pain which could be anywhere, legs, hands, waist, wrist, wherever you have joints then for those who have critical menstrual pain such that you vomit and jus lay useless during that period it could be worse if you are sickle cell, cramps double up. So the best thing is once you notice sign of menstrual pain on the way get your pain relief drugs close by  and something to chow by the side.

The pain thingy could kinda prove a challenge as most medical personnel have this doctrine that you are sickle cell therefore you are an addict. They are very stingy in dispensing drugs to patients because pain relief drugs contain nicotine an addictive substance. in every sense of the word you can’t be sickle cell without being an addict cause you take this drugs regularly… and I say to myself for why?? Do they have the faintest idea what you go through.. Nope they don’t. They fail to understand that if you want to be an addict you can without necessarily having the gene. If I may add, more than a half of the lot who are drug abusers are genotypically sound human beings.

“Am not lazy just saving my energy”    people don’t understand that. They never do. Everyone thinks that you are lazy, lazy, and lazy!!!  And with their turned up nose in your direction they go ‘ hmmph  you just too lazy.’

You are not. You work on half the normal energy levels that they have reason for the frequent fatigue and why you can’t do those strenuous tasks your mates carry out with ease including sports. Strenuous sports like running, weight lifting should be avoided if you can help it. .. so don’t stress it , be gentle with yourself and always remember to keep it simple… the best thing is knowing yourself and knowing how long you can go and keep it at that. Don’t use others to compare you that would be most unfair.

Eating disorder is not the word to describe your perpetual eating habit… food is necessary; fruits vegetables eat a lot more than the person next to you. Your body breaks down food much faster and it always requires a lot and drink lots of water it helps flush the system too.. So don’t be shy gobble up that plate of beans and rice and yes you can help aunty over there with her left over. Plug in your earpiece if they keep going on and on about how much you have eaten today and you still expecting dinner. My dear eat! Drink water too.

Take note of temperature blinkers… your body responds or should I say is very sensitive to temperature changes. Avoid exposure to extreme cold weather, keep yourself warm and nicely tucked at all times, and at night if you feel you need a double blanket feel free. Use it.

People with sickle generally are known to be intelligent and have achieved a lot in society, scaling milestones.. I could make a list for you just so you know.

Go do that which you are set to do. Fly high. Do not let it stop you, refuse to be limited. With God all things are possible.

So go on, don’t be afraid. Write that vision. Make it plain and Runnnnnnnnnnnnn with it!




Cheers!!!

Comments

Victor said…
I must say that this is a standard writeup, so full of truth - a truth that only one who has experienced it can tell. Nice one
Ebare_Ebose said…
thank you

Popular posts from this blog

The Fine Art Of Water Poisoning And Oh, I Sweat Salt?!

@princess__kay_ “Alexilore you are sweating.” My companion says. I turn briefly to meet his peering gaze before returning my attention to my lappy screen. “I am sweating”, I state in a mocking tone, “because there is heat”. I roll my eyes. Two heart beats later, I am aware of a scrutinizing pair of eyes on me. @princess__kay_  “What?” I snap “You are making me unduly self-conscious”. He leans forward, trails his finger on my neck and chin, where my sweat had caked, lifts the same finger to my forehead and imitates his previous gestures and then, rubs the white crusty particles against his thumb and forefinger in curiosity. His eyes flick up to mine. “What's this?” “ Salt” I say flatly. “Unbelievable”. He mutters, peering at the white particles between his fingers, “can I lick it?” “Don't be ridiculous!” I slap his hands, dusting the particles off, yet he still manages to ward me off, holds my hands firmly at my sides as he puts his finger to his m

MOVIE REVIEW (WEDDING PARTY 2 - DESTINATION DUBAI )

Alright, my review is late, very, very, late. I watched The Wedding Party 2 just a few days ago. "How was it?" it was a rip off. Lols. That is exactly how I felt, like EbonyLife TV deceived me, the trailers deceived me, Nigerians hype over the movie, deceived me! Chai!😂. Watching Wedding Party 2 I did not get that same sense of satisfaction(I get when I have eaten a good meal), I got from watching the Ist series. Also, it did not assuage the anticipation that had built up in me and reached a crescendo. If you know how I had been chanting "wedding party two, wedding party two," dancing and disturbing everyone in the house, you would understand it was a very humbling moment for me, when I returned from the cinema and was asked, "so how was it?" Okay, before I go on and on ranting about how the movie dissapointeddddd me, let me gist you my first-hand-viewing-experience of the glorified Wedding Party 2. What makes a movie delightful, leave a lastin

Beauty in Discolouration-Vitiligo

Image source: Tuko.co.ke                   Photo credit: Mark Tolbert                           Have you ever encountered anyone with vitiligo? In secondary school I did although in ignorance.