Skip to main content

Beauty in Discolouration-Vitiligo

Image source: Tuko.co.ke                   Photo credit: Mark Tolbert


                         
Have you ever encountered anyone with vitiligo? In secondary school I did although in ignorance.
There was a set mate whom I noticed had patches of lighter coloured skin scattered around his mouth and I assumed without much thought, that it was eczema. It was not terrible it was only obvious. I shrugged it off believing If he took proper care of himself during the holidays, when we resumed he would look much better.

He did not. Rather, the lighter patch of skin seemed to have spread in a defined manner. I turned up my nose and avoided him altogether; he really must be a dirty person I had concluded.

 I was wrong. So ashamedly wrong. I judged too quickly and I had isolated him.

Fast forward a couple of years later. Only a few weeks  back did I stumble on a post on social media. A poem that called on all members of society to accomodate those who suffered from vitiligo and  those who had vitiligo to embrace it not as a cosmetic flaw or physical defect but as an art and one of natures outright jokes.

My curiosity and  interest peaked. I had to know what it was; vitiligo. I was almost certain I had not previously and by any means, heard about it except I might have without paying much attention.
Vitiligo pronounced viti-lie-go is also known as leucoderma and has been in existence for a really long time as far back as 250BC then it was classified along with leprosy as the white disease.

It was not until the gradual improvement in medical science over years that it was established that vitiligo is not contagious and has no adverse effect except on the psychology of the affected person.

The reason why it is called a cosmetic flaw is in respect to the fact that it affects the skin forming white patches or strips of lighter coloured skin which could affect any part of the body be it the eyes, inside the mouth, lips, legs, hands, etcetera.

We live in a world where physical appearance determines almost 90% of social interactions among people.  You dress the way you want to be addressed. You take care of your appearance if you want to be taken seriously. You talk the way you wish to be perceived by others in your social circle.

Hence those who have vitiligo are subjected to low self esteem/inferiority complex, segregation and even depression.

Vitiligo occurs when some parts of the skin stops producing melanin which is responsible for the the skin colour.
There have been no established reason as to why this happens. However, there have been a number of postulations. One of such is that the patients body is autoimmune.

Autoimmune is a condition whereby the antigens(body soldiers)which ward off diseases in a person's body turns against the body and fights the skin cells melanocyte which are responsible for the production of melanin. This leads to shortage of melanin thereby causing dipigmentation(loss of skin colour) in those areas.

Image source:buzzfeed.com

Genetic disorder: Vitiligo is believed to be a genetic disorder meaning it is hereditary; passed on from parent to offspring.   It is not an established theory and that it runs through families. It varies, no one can determine for sure.

It is also said to be triggered on by stress and it could also be that the melanocyte on their own deem it suitable to destroy themselves(shrug).

In other news, some medical experts have come out to say that vitiligo is caused by a virus.

Vitiligo is no respecter of gender, race or age(boss).It can happen to anyone at any age but to a large extent it generates as from the twenties and before forties.
It is a progressive disorder however, the rate at which it spreads differs greatly. For some it spreads at a snail pace over years while others could experience rapid progression and some it remains confined.

There is no established cure for vitiligo but it can be managed by covering it up. Those who suffers from vitiligo; vitiligans can be exposed to the following treatments:
The use of cosmetic; creams, concealers e.t.c

A treatment that uses ultraviolet light(UVA)also known as dipigmentation of the rest of the body. This simply means using ultra violent light to remove the colour from other areas of the body so they can match the white patch. Thereby making the skin colour even.

 I feel the need to elucidate that vitiligo is simply just a skin disorder it changes the look of a person physically but it does not affect the health whatsoever or cause damage to the person in anyway. It does not make the person ill and does not lead to death. However, most people have it for life so it is essential to develop coping strategies in which I actually mean 'tough skin'. Yes you may be ostracized, shunned, looked down on.  It's a reality you have to get used to.  But you should not let the actions of others get to you have this at the back of your mind; there is nothing wrong with you absolutely nothing.

People generally are intimidated by anything they don't understand or can't relate to; reason for the negative emotions. That does not make you any less beautiful and less amazing and it should not make you feel tarnished in anyway... You are a beautiful creation. Wonderfully made by God. Do not ever doubt that.






Comments

Unknown said…
Nice piece of research work. Thanks.
Ebare_Ebose said…
Thank you too.

Popular posts from this blog

The Fine Art Of Water Poisoning And Oh, I Sweat Salt?!

@princess__kay_ “Alexilore you are sweating.” My companion says. I turn briefly to meet his peering gaze before returning my attention to my lappy screen. “I am sweating”, I state in a mocking tone, “because there is heat”. I roll my eyes. Two heart beats later, I am aware of a scrutinizing pair of eyes on me. @princess__kay_  “What?” I snap “You are making me unduly self-conscious”. He leans forward, trails his finger on my neck and chin, where my sweat had caked, lifts the same finger to my forehead and imitates his previous gestures and then, rubs the white crusty particles against his thumb and forefinger in curiosity. His eyes flick up to mine. “What's this?” “ Salt” I say flatly. “Unbelievable”. He mutters, peering at the white particles between his fingers, “can I lick it?” “Don't be ridiculous!” I slap his hands, dusting the particles off, yet he still manages to ward me off, holds my hands firmly at my sides as he puts his finger to his m

MOVIE REVIEW (WEDDING PARTY 2 - DESTINATION DUBAI )

Alright, my review is late, very, very, late. I watched The Wedding Party 2 just a few days ago. "How was it?" it was a rip off. Lols. That is exactly how I felt, like EbonyLife TV deceived me, the trailers deceived me, Nigerians hype over the movie, deceived me! Chai!😂. Watching Wedding Party 2 I did not get that same sense of satisfaction(I get when I have eaten a good meal), I got from watching the Ist series. Also, it did not assuage the anticipation that had built up in me and reached a crescendo. If you know how I had been chanting "wedding party two, wedding party two," dancing and disturbing everyone in the house, you would understand it was a very humbling moment for me, when I returned from the cinema and was asked, "so how was it?" Okay, before I go on and on ranting about how the movie dissapointeddddd me, let me gist you my first-hand-viewing-experience of the glorified Wedding Party 2. What makes a movie delightful, leave a lastin

MY EXPERIENCE WITH ALLERGIES

Averie Woodward I saw my first allergy when I was very young, it came as red spots that itched terribly. In my family we don't have allergies(at least none that we know of) so mine was quite unusual and it took sometime of random guesses and lets-watch-and-see attitude before we could pin point the cause. At first we thought they were insects bites on my neck but then it spread into larger patches and then we knew "ok, this has to be attended to".  I saw them frequently after that. They came, stayed for a few itchy days and then cleared away(my allergies). So I had to be on a constant diet watch, which I found exhausting because staying off a few of my favourite chewables was not pleasant. However, With close monitoring we finally pinned Vitamin C as the source of my allergies. It was noticed that anytime I ingested Vitamin C tablets or drinks with vitamin c additives I had these red spots. Once this was established, life returned to normal. Then one night as I lay o