Skip to main content

MY EXPERIENCE WITH ALLERGIES


Averie Woodward

I saw my first allergy when I was very young, it came as red spots that itched terribly. In my family we don't have allergies(at least none that we know of) so mine was quite unusual and it took sometime of random guesses and lets-watch-and-see attitude before we could pin point the cause. At first we thought they were insects bites on my neck but then it spread into larger patches and then we knew "ok, this has to be attended to". 

I saw them frequently after that. They came, stayed for a few itchy days and then cleared away(my allergies). So I had to be on a constant diet watch, which I found exhausting because staying off a few of my favourite chewables was not pleasant. However, With close monitoring we finally pinned Vitamin C as the source of my allergies. It was noticed that anytime I ingested Vitamin C tablets or drinks with vitamin c additives I had these red spots.
Once this was established, life returned to normal. Then one night as I lay on the floor after dinner, feeling contented and happy, I felt a burning sensation on my chest, which became really itchy and when I looked, it was all red and within seconds the rash was all over my body.

"I had not touched the Vitamin C tablets in the house", I wailed as the itching drove me crazy. Fast forward to an empty bottle of calamine lotion(used to stop itching) and a trip to the doctor(which did not tell us the cause, just gave us drugs to subside the itching and the usual it's-an-allergy-check-what-she-eats-talk).

As the LORD will have it. Thank God for God, there were two elderly matrons working around at the time and you know elderly people and their talks. One gossip to another until their idle gist came to rest on my body and then one said to the other. "you know this thing is caused by water right? I have seen it before. A nephews, brother, cousins, sisters aunt used to have it whenever she bathed with cold water". Viola! That was my salvation. My parents left the hospital, armed with that information. It turned out those two women were right! Whenever I drank or bathed with cold water in extreme low temperatures, I had a breakout. This doesn't mean the vitamin c was wrong. I react to vitamin c and cold water too.

Why am I writing this?  It's a little exposè to help those who have this problem or know anyone with these symptoms. Special shoutouts to those two matrons, I may not be able to recognise you anymore but thank you🙏

One lesson I learn't is- God uses people to speak to you. So don't commonize, listen!
Do you have allergies, would you mind sharing your experience?


Comments

Unknown said…
I once had an allergy, a long time ago. It was drug-related. So I understand perfectly the extreme inconvenience and pain. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it'd be helpful to many.

Popular posts from this blog

The Fine Art Of Water Poisoning And Oh, I Sweat Salt?!

@princess__kay_ “Alexilore you are sweating.” My companion says. I turn briefly to meet his peering gaze before returning my attention to my lappy screen. “I am sweating”, I state in a mocking tone, “because there is heat”. I roll my eyes. Two heart beats later, I am aware of a scrutinizing pair of eyes on me. @princess__kay_  “What?” I snap “You are making me unduly self-conscious”. He leans forward, trails his finger on my neck and chin, where my sweat had caked, lifts the same finger to my forehead and imitates his previous gestures and then, rubs the white crusty particles against his thumb and forefinger in curiosity. His eyes flick up to mine. “What's this?” “ Salt” I say flatly. “Unbelievable”. He mutters, peering at the white particles between his fingers, “can I lick it?” “Don't be ridiculous!” I slap his hands, dusting the particles off, yet he still manages to ward me off, holds my hands firmly at my sides as he puts his finger to his m

Goodbye June, hello July

                                 After wishing a friend a belated happy new month at 3.00pm the first day of the month of July because, I had forgotten to do so earlier and I just remembered.

MOVIE REVIEW (WEDDING PARTY 2 - DESTINATION DUBAI )

Alright, my review is late, very, very, late. I watched The Wedding Party 2 just a few days ago. "How was it?" it was a rip off. Lols. That is exactly how I felt, like EbonyLife TV deceived me, the trailers deceived me, Nigerians hype over the movie, deceived me! Chai!😂. Watching Wedding Party 2 I did not get that same sense of satisfaction(I get when I have eaten a good meal), I got from watching the Ist series. Also, it did not assuage the anticipation that had built up in me and reached a crescendo. If you know how I had been chanting "wedding party two, wedding party two," dancing and disturbing everyone in the house, you would understand it was a very humbling moment for me, when I returned from the cinema and was asked, "so how was it?" Okay, before I go on and on ranting about how the movie dissapointeddddd me, let me gist you my first-hand-viewing-experience of the glorified Wedding Party 2. What makes a movie delightful, leave a lastin